Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ipsy April 2015 Review


Ipsy, is a monthly subscription service which sends you 5 make-up, skin care or hair care items per month packaged in a make-up bag.  The products are often deluxe sample sizes but there are usually a few full-size items as well.  The cost is $10 per month with free shipping if you happen to live in the States but for those of us in Canada, add $4.95 shipping as well as exchange.  There are savings to be had if you subscribe to a longer period, though.  I paid for a year up front which worked out to $184.33 Canadian funds, or $15.36 per month - of course that was also at a time when our dollar was stronger.

If this review piques your interest in Ipsy, please consider using my referral link :)  I'd appreciate it!  There is usually a waiting list but they often offer ways to skip the line.

Here is what came in my Ipsy bag this month:


Before I get to the samples (I know, I know. . .), a word on the bag:  this month's bag is pretty awesome.  While the idea of a "bohemian" theme didn't (and doesn't) thrill me, and I think that's reflected in how I feel about some of the items I received, I actually quite like the bag.  It's not my usual style but I like that it's not plastic like many of my Ipsy bags and love that it's a little bit larger so it can actually hold what I need it to (well, make-up wise anyhow).

Hey Honey Good Morning Honey Silk Facial Serum ($11.50 value for 10ml - $41 for 1.2oz)

I'm really enjoying this sample. . . probably not enough to buy a full size at that price but I do love my skin care products.  Samples like this are an excellent size for travel which is what I used this one for :) It has a delicate scent and leaves my skin feeling smooth and moisturized.

The Balm Nude Dude Eyeshadow in Fit ($3 value - a palette of 12 sells for $36)

This, I don't like.  Ipsy insists on sending me beige/tan/bronze/copper eyeshadows and I don't get it.  I am pale with pink-toned skin.  These look ridiculous on me and I now have about 3 or 4 of them? The pigmentation of this is lovely but I wish it was in another colour - any other colour! That's it on the left in the swatch shot below.

Starlooks Satin Finish Lip Gloss in Cuddle ($3.50 value? - full size is $13 but doesn't state how large that is; this sample is 0.3oz)

And this is a complete waste of time.  See the swatch below on the right.  This doesn't give me any colour, just a little sparkle and is sticky.  About the only thing it has going for it is that it smells nice (kind of like caramel).  I don't even like lip glosses but I do have far superior ones in my stash that I would reach for over this one.  It could be layered over something else but I can't be bothered.  I will never use this and it's too small to justify gifting it to anyone :(


Julie G Nail Colour in Damsel (FULL SIZE $3.99 value)

While Julie G describes this nail polish as a "mid tone pink creme", I would lean more towards "hot pink."  I will totally use this as I'm a big fan of bright colours in spring and summer.  I haven't tried it out yet (didn't seem appropriate for the wedding I was attending, lol) so I can't comment on the formula.  Sorry!

Aromachology Sophisticated and Sensual Floral Eau de Parfum ($20 value for this 0.17 fl. oz. sample - 10ml sells for $40)

Ipsy has never sent me perfume before and I wasn't sure what to expect.  I love this! It works really well with my body chemistry, it is a pleasant size for a sample (it will last for a while) and I also really like the rollerball method of delivery.  I had thought that rollerball perfumes were kind of gimmicky but I am finding this a pleasant surprise :)

Overall Verdict:

Oddly, for a mostly make-up sub, I found myself much preferring the non-make-up items this month.  The bag is a good one.  I love the perfume and will also enjoy using the serum and the nail polish.  I am so over the "neutral" lip and eyeshadows I have been receiving - while they might be neutral if you have a warm skin-tone, they are not neutral for me; they look ridiculous.  Ipsy should add a "cool, warm or neutral" option to their Ipsy Match quiz. . . that said, I'm not sure how much value they actually place on that quiz anyway given how far off some items have been for me.  Overall value this month comes in around $42 which is a decent value and about average as far as my bags have been.  Thankfully, I actually liked the most highly valued items this month and the duds represent very little of that valuation, which isn't always the case.  I knew that "boho" would likely be more miss than hit for me as it's so far from my personal style but I am pleasantly surprised to find one really fantastic item in this bag, two decent ones and two duds.  That seems to be about par for the course with me and Ipsy as well.  

As always, if my review has helped you decide to give Ipsy a shot, I'd appreciate the referral - the link is at the top :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.