Monday, November 23, 2015

Julep November 2015 Review


Julep is a monthly nail polish subscription box / beauty subscription.  Their polishes are 5-free and vegan-friendly which I love! For $24.99 per month (or $19.99 per month if you sign up for 3 months up front), you will receive your choice of 2-3 nail polish / beauty items each month according to your profile.  "Classic With a Twist", "Bombshell" and "Boho Glam" profiles receive 2 polishes and 1 beauty item; "It Girls" receive 3 polishes and "Modern Beauties" receive 2 beauty items.  But now, no matter what profile you are, you can totally customize your box or even switch to a totally different box! And you can skip any month after your first month as a Maven (Welcome Boxes don't count).  Sounds perfect to me!  

If you're interested in trying out the subscription, my links will take you to a FREE Welcome Box, just pay the cost of shipping - this will sign you up for the subscription so be forewarned about that (if you scroll down though, you can get in for the 3 month rate of $19.99 per month).  Check out the Welcome Box I received here.  This is an American sub so do factor in the cost of exchange although, aside from Welcome Boxes, shipping is free for Mavens - even Canadian ones :)

November's Collection was "The Switch-Up Collection" and all about shifting seasons. So, what did I get?  Well. . . a lot of stuff, as usual!
 November's collection saw the addition of several Matte Metallic shades and a new Facial Milk but, well, I didn't get any of those.  To be honest, I have lots of metallic shades and a matte top coat that I like so I didn't really see the point.  And as for the facial milk, I'm kind of picky about what I put on my face and what I'm using right now is working for me (upcoming post?).

 But that doesn't mean I didn't fill my box:


And here it all is unboxed:

That's the Fluid Eye Glider, Light on Your Lips Lipstick in Wink, Sheer Shimmer Oxygen Nail Treatment, Janice, Maggie, Eliana, Mila, Gabrielle and Lori!

Julep also included a FREE topcoat this month:  Melody, an iridescent high gloss glitter topcoat.

Melody ($14 value)

Well, Melody was free so that's awesome.  I do like it but I don't know how often I'll use it since I often have stamping / nail art going on.  If I'm doing a simple mani with a creme shade, I might spice it up with Melody or go for a glitter gradient or something.  It offers a good amount of glitter in one coat and it's all relatively fine pieces so that's a plus.  On the downside, a pain to remove - but not as much as one would expect with glitter.


Fluid Eye Glider ($20 value)

Man, this is awesome! I love a good black liquid liner and this pen-style makes it really easy to apply.  It stays on like a dream too.  I was wearing this swatch all day, lol! This was an add-on for me this month

Light on Your Lips in Wink ($22 value)

I included this in my box this month since I love the formula of this lipstick.  Wink is described as a "tea rose creme" but to be honest, I find it a little peachier than I was expecting.  It feels a little more beige / peach than rosy and I wish it were more on the pink side for my colouring.  That said, I do still love the formula and will wear this with a pinkier gloss on top to adjust the colouring for me.  The Primp or Tutu shades might have been more what I was looking for.

Top to Bottom:  Take a Breather, Janice and Maggie
(Sorry this shot is blurry - it's the only one where you can see the colours since they're so shiny!)

Take a Breather - Sheer Shimmer Oxygen Nail Treatment ($18 value)

Of course I had to include this in my box.  My nails aren't used to this much action and they're a little peely and sad.  This is a treatment that doesn't look like one - I seriously kept thinking I had polished my nails in a really pretty shimmery pink! Love that!

Janice ($14 value)

Janice (Classic with a Twist) is a "carnival full coverage microglitter" and was only available as an add-on this month.  So of course I added it on! I have never actually owned a glitter that offered full coverage so I had to try this out right away.  It really does cover well in one coat, better in two, and the variety of glittery shades (blue, red, gold?) means it looks so neat on.  From a distance, it looks almost bronze-y but then a little closer, you really start picking up the variety.  Gorgeous!

Maggie ($14 value)

And this was the third item I included in my box:  Maggie (Bombshell), a frosty amethyst shimmer, Back From the Vault by popular demand! Maggie was originally released in late 2011 and re-released this month.  Thank goodness because this polish is gorgeous! The shimmer gives it such depth.  Great coverage in two coats as well.

Top to Bottom:  Mila, Gabrielle, Lori and Eliana

Mystery Trio ($42 value)

Julep sends you a "free" gift if you add three things on to your monthly box.  Since I knew I was for sure adding two (Janice and the Eye Glider), I couldn't resist adding one more:  a mystery trio! Basically, Julep picks out three polishes for you and you don't know what they are until they arrive.  I received Mila, Gabrielle and Lori.  Eliana was my free gift.  Mila (It Girl, July 2012) is a "charcoal multi-colored glitter" which has a similar formula to Janice.  Despite being "charcoal", there are a lot of gold glitters so that's how it appears on the nail (to me, at least).  Gabrielle (Bombshell, May 2013) is a gorgeous smoky mulberry creme and Eliana (Bombshell, September 2014) is a soft denim creme.  Both cremes have easy to apply formulas that wear well and I love both shades! Lori (Classic with a Twist, June 2015) is a "pressed marionberry jelly" and I actually already own it so it will be gifted.  It's not the easiest jelly finish to apply but the colour is really beautiful so it's worth it.

My husband and son love the little treats Julep sends each month as well!

Overall Verdict:

I think I forgot about all the add-ons until I opened the box and it was full! I am super happy with all the polishes this month - especially the surprise ones as they are ones I would have selected myself (with the exception of, perhaps, Mila).  The Fluid Eye Glider is awesome too.  The only slight miss for me is the shade of the lipstick but I'll make it work.

As always, if you are interested in trying out Julep, I would greatly appreciate your use of my links.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.